In 2015, it was reported that about 15,000 Philadelphians experienced homelessness. Numerous are turned away from shelters due to capacity. They’re over 6,500 individuals living on the street, in cars, abandoned buildings, train/bus stations, and other places not meant for human habitation. Source Project HOME.
Youth Homelessness. According to the Voices of Youth Count survey taken in 2017.
- On a single night in Philadelphia County in August 2016, there was an overall count of 569 homeless and unstably housed youth, ages 13 to 25 years old. This report discusses strengths, limitations, and context of the count.
- Forty-one percent of the surveyed homeless and unstably housed youth were sheltered the night before the count and 19 percent were unsheltered.
- Twenty-one percent of the surveyed homeless and unstably housed youth were 13 to 17 years old.
- Black or African American youth were over represented among the Philadelphia County population of homeless or unstably housed youth. Seventy percent of the surveyed youth identified as Black or African American, yet they represented only 44 percent of the overall Philadelphia County population.
- Thirty-four percent of the female youth in Philadelphia County reported being pregnant or a parent.
- Thirty-seven percent of the homeless and unstably housed youth in Philadelphia County homeless and unstably housed youth either had been in foster care or spent time in juvenile detention or jail or prison only but 14 percent had experienced both.
According to the Philadelphia Office of Homeless Services. For the past 5 years there has been a steady increase in the number of people experiencing homelessness in Kensington.
As an advocate for homeless individuals, ITAVFoundation have joined the fight to help end homelessness.
Homeless still Human Project
ITAVFoundation Homeless Still Human project focuses on the homeless community in the Philadelphia area, especially those in Kensington Philly. As an advocate for homeless individuals, we will continue providing homeless shelters/outreach programs in with the necessary supplies they need in this fight to end homelessness. ITAVFoundation Homeless Still Human Project mission is to provide food + toiletry kits to homeless individuals in the Philadelphia area. Our goal is to work closely with shelters in order to build a relationship, to aid and assist and work closely together to help end homelessness.